Laser Vision Correction or LASIK eye surgery is fairly modern procedure that has helped revive vision for millions of people since it became approved by the F.D.A. in the middle of the 1990’s. If you have poor eyesight and are interested in improving your vision there are some general requirements to take to consider before meeting with a doctor:
- I’m nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism.
- I’m age 18-60 (If you’re over the age 60, you may be a candidate if you’re free from cataracts. If you have cataracts, cataract surgery may be an option for you. Cataract surgery is also a refractive procedure, and it’s usually covered by insurance).
- My vision has been stable for about 3 years.
- I have no eye problems-no recurring inflammation that causes itching. (If you have eye problems, you may still be a candidate once your doctor assists you in clearing up the problem).
- I have no health issues that may affect my eyes (e.g., Rheumatoid Arthritis or Diabetes) that’s currently affecting your eyes.
If you meet the general requirements to be a candidate for laser vision correction or LASIK you should schedule a consultation. Each set of eyes is unique and they need to be evaluated by a Board Certified Ophthalmologist before LASIK surgery can be performed. A series of diagnostic tests will be run by your doctor to determine if you are truly a candidate.
The test are:
- The measurement of corneal thickness, including corneal topography
- Complete review of overall eye health
- The measurement of your prescription or refractive errors
- Custom LASIK measurement for higher order aberrations.
- Dry eye test
- Complete dilation to view the back of the eye or the retina
- Glasses or contact lens history review
- Measurement of pupil size
If for some reason you are not a strong candidate for LASIK eye surgery, the doctor of Montgomery & Riddle Eyecare will recommend a healthy alternative. Call today to schedule your LASIK consultation at 864-833-0038.